Sunday, October 16, 2011

Peace Officers Valor 5k 2011

Results October 15, 2011
21:49; 3.1mi +384ft
19/177 OA 5/84 F

Raced a 5k because one of my buddies told me to.  Out and back along the Pikes Peak Greenway. Flat but gradual downhill on the way out / gradual uphill on the way back. I honestly felt pretty terrible the whole way. My IT band wouldn't warm up and then I felt a bunch of pain in my right hip area for no particular reason (didn't feel muscular, felt more like small kidney stone or a large cramp, ugh). Started off too fast for what I was feeling. I didn't go hard enough at the end to have stomach trouble but I'm sure I would have if I'd really pushed that last mile. Pretty disappointed with my time. I thought I was in better shape than that. Hoping it chalks up to an off day. For the past two weeks I've been able to do 4mi training runs at 7:45 pace and that seems to be right at the threshold where I start to breath hard and I feel great. But drop the pace to 7:15 and I feel miserable. I suppose I should do some training above threshold for once... I am not used to that feeling anymore.

Photo: Thomas Dewane

Started off too fast as usual. Wishful thinking pace. Miles were approx 6:30, 7:30, 7:45 (including .1). Average pace 7:03. A good portion of the slowdown was mental rather than physical.




No comments:

Post a Comment